SATURDAY 5 OCTOBER 2013, GLASGOW CITY CENTRE
We have now sold out for the Bank of Scotland Great Scottish Run Junior & Family events (Super Saturday).
No late entries will be available for any of the junior/family events (Super Saturday).
This is the younger generation's chance to get inspired on a fun day of running around our specialist City Centre course. From the toddler dash, to the mini racers and the Junior stars of the future, we look forward to seeing you take part.
Super Saturday will take place in and around George Square which is the start line for the Bank of Scotland Great Scottish Run on the Sunday. There will be loads to see and do with come and try sports, food and drink as well as live music and entertainment throughout the day. It's never too early to start and you're never too old to have fun.
The Start & Finish
TOP TIPS FOR TRAINING & PREPARATION
- Don’t let your child run if he or she isn’t well enough to do so on the day.
- Always warm up before running, and cool down properly afterwards.
- Make sure your child’s trainers are comfortable and fit properly.
- Ensure your child eats something high in carbohydrates before the run.
- Your child will receive a bottle of water in their Finishers Pack.
- Celebrate your child’s success – it’s a great achievement whether he or she ran or walked the run.
For further training and medical advice visit greatscottishrun.com/RespectTheChallenge
Medical staff will be based at the start, finish and around the course. Please ensure you fill in the details on the back of your run number before the event day – this information is invaluable to medics in emergency cases.
The missing persons point is located next to the Information Point on George Square. Please ensure that a mobile telephone number for a parent/guardian attending the event is completed on the run number in the space provided to assist in reuniting lost children with parents/guardians.
You should arrive ready to run as there are no changing facilities available at the event. Any bags should be left with family and friends.
ASSEMBLY PROCEDURE AND START
The start assembly area will be in front of the City Chambers on George Square. Runners are asked to assemble in their coloured waves.
AT THE FINISH
The finish line is located on the South side of George Square. Once you cross the line please keep moving through the finish system. If you are running in the Junior events please be aware that you will need to return your timing chip in the bins provided and collect your Finishers Pack which will contain your medal, drink and other goodies.
Agree on a place to meet your loved ones in advance or use the large Meeting Point banners on George Square. These banners are marked from A-Z so stand by the banner which corresponds to the first letter of your surname. So if you’re meeting a runner called John Smith, stand by 'S'
Toilets for runners are available at the start area. It is inevitable that the toilet facilities will be busy before the run, so please allow plenty of time.
The information point is located on George Square. This includes a t shirt exchange facility. Please note that we cannot guarantee t-shirt exchanges.
Traffic & Travel
George Square is located in central Glasgow and offers fantastic transport links. We recommend you use public transport where possible. To plan your journey please visit travelinescotland.com or call 0871 200 22 33 for more information.
If you do decide to drive please see glasgow.gov.uk or call 0141 2874040 for accurate parking advice.
Run Number FAQs
Frequently asked questions about your run number:
- In order to make your run as enjoyable as possible and so that you can run with children your own age, we have divided entries up into different “waves” based on your age on race day. The colour of your race number will determine which “wave” you are running in. This will be detailed with your assembly and start time on the back of your race number, however please use the table as an easy guide.
Please note: all female runners in the Mini and Junior event will have a white stripe through the middle of their number.
- All runners in the Mini waves and those in the Junior waves who requested to run with an adult will have an adult bib attached to their race number. Please detach this as it must be worn by the adult in order to access the assembly area. Adults must not take a finishers’ pack at the end of the run as these are for the children only!
- All entrants (including adults) must fill in the back of their race number before taking part.
- Your t-shirt is enclosed in this pack and has been allocated according to the size which you requested on your entry form.
- All Junior runners have also received an IPICO timing chip. This should be worn on your trainer and attached using the ties provided (see instructions on the chip envelope). All you have to do to activate the chip is run over the start line and then over the finish line. Your accurate, individual time will then be uploaded on to greatscottishrun.com after the event.
Please note: accompanying adult race numbers have only been allocated to Juniors if they requested one when entering the event.
Can I run with my child?
Those running in the Mini run and Junior runners who requested to run with an adult will have an accompanying adult bib attached to the top of their run number. This allows one adult per entrant to run with the child. The adult MUST wear this bib to access the assembly area. Adults must not take a Finishers Pack at the end of the run as they are for children only!